The Joe Huston Memorial Sports Complex, located at 10120 SW Boones Ferry Road, just off Terwilliger Blvd., directly behind the Lewis & Clark College School of Law, is home to both Pioneer baseball and softball fields. The Huston Sports Complex is named in honor of Joe Huston, football coach at Lewis & Clark for seventeen seasons. As the plaque at the complex declares, Huston was a “friend, Coach-Athletic Director-Dean of Men” from 1947-1972.
Originally built as a practice and intramural facility, it was upgraded to become the permanent home of the Pioneer baseball and softball teams in the late 70’s. Softball first began playing at “Huston Field” in 1979, having previously called Falcon Park their home field. Baseball moved from Sckavone Field (SE 22nd & McLoughlin) to Huston Field in 1980.
The molded plastic seats in the bleachers were once part of the seating at the Kingdome in Seattle, the former home of the Seattle Mariners.
The Huston Sports Complex has been evolving through the years. In 1993, a baseball pressbox, double-batting tunnels, and dugouts were added. A new scoreboard was put in right center in 2005.